September 17, 2008

Lazy No More

It's been 5 days since the night where I decided things were going to change. I've actually put an effort in and they have! It's amazing what can happen when you're motivated and actually do something instead of just thinking about it!

Monday morning when I woke up, I felt that I wanted to pray and converse with my God for longer than a sentence or two. I started praying and then I picked up my Bible and decided that instead of wishing I was back in the habit of quiet times (I fell out of my routine when I came back from England) I would do something about it. I looked through the index of my Bible and was looking for a book to start reading through. Looking down the list of New Testament books, I came across Acts and thought that although I've read it so many times, I want to actually read it this time and study it for myself. So, I started with Acts 1. It was great just reading through the Bible again! I felt so refreshed and my day actually ran a lot better having the Word of God in my heart and being able to share what I read with some people throughout the day. In Acts 1, it was great just reading about how Christ says to the disciples that it's not for us to worry about the time or day of His return but to just go out and spread the Word as much as we can. I also noticed what happened to Judas Iscariot as I never really stopped to think where he ended up and felt encouraged by the disciples praying for who will be the 12th disciple, as it reminded me of how I'm praying between some decisions in my life right now.

Today, I read Acts 2. It's amazing how God shows us new things each time we read "the same old verse"! I've always found it interesting about tongue speaking and to be honest, it made me a little afraid when it was talked about or on the one occasion I heard it but when I read about how the Holy Spirit first came and gave the disciples "tongues", it amazed me. Like I said, although I've read it so many times before, it was like I was reading it again for the first time. Even though I've sat through a number of sermons and devotions on it, I understood for the first time that the tongues mentioned in the Bible that the disciples spoke in, were in fact just languages so that they could go out into different tribes than Jerusalem and preach the Word. I feel, I don't know, slow I guess for only just clicking to this but I'm feeling encouraged because I've discovered something new for myself! Well, God showed me something new =) I also read today about how Peter was preaching and was explaining that Jesus was God's Son and David saw this years ago in Psalm 22 and it would've been amazing to live in those days and see the prophecy David made actually come true! Well it made "about 3,000" people believe that day Peter preached and they were all baptised =) I also read about fellowshipping with believers and it was describing eating together and breaking bread together which reminded me of a night a few weeks ago that my young adults group had where we did just that. It was such a special night to share and just worship the Lord...I loved it =)


The battle's not over yet! I've made an improvement this week but keep me in your prayers that I'll stay in my routine and always seek God first =)



2 comments:

Jewelz said...

That's awesome!

Felicity said...

Hey Lisa, just found your blog! It is so fantastic when you get a hunger for the Word, I pray that it will continue and that you will be richly blessed and satisfied!! xx